SECRET PRACTICE BEGINS TODAY

Second Eleven Plays the Guards-Back Formation in Practice Yesterday.

Secret practice in preparation for the Carlisle game will begin this afternoon, and from now until the end of the season most of the work of the first eleven will be secret. Yesterday in the open practice some attention was given to special training for the Pennsylvania game. The second eleven was coached in the guards-back formation in the signal practice, and in the game with the first it used this play exclusively. The first team adopted no new line formation to stop it, but succeeded in keeping the second team from making large or succesive gains. The first team also made a change in its plan of play by depending more on-end running than on line backing. In the signal practice the coaches spent all of their time correcting faults in the interference and the starting of the backs. This showed its effect in the game, the first eleven scoring five touch-downs, all of which were the results of long end runs. These were not made by individual playing alone, but in most cases by the aid of brilliant interference. There was no fumbling nor holding, but a good deal of ground was lost by offside play and interference with the second team's center.

Most of the second team's plays were directed against Burnett and Sargent, and a great deal of the credit for stopping the plays is due to them. Roberts, who succeeded Sargent was not so effective, but this may be attributed to his lack of experience with the guards back formation. Burnett and Sargent did some good tackling and fast interfering in the open field. J. Lawrence and Eaton opened holes well and were much steadier than usual. Campbell and Hallowell were slow and missed tackled frequently. The best work was done by the back field men, Fincke, Putnam, Kendall, Devens, and Stillman. Kendall and Devens took the full advantage of the interference in circling the ends and both made long runs. Much credit for these, however, must be given to Fincke and Putnam who stayed with the runners and kept off the tacklers remarkably well. Stillman for the first time this year bucked the line well and held the ball when tackled. The only man injured was Kendall, who was doubled up under a scrimmage. His shoulders were cramped but the injury, though painful, was only temporary.

The first team scored its first touch-down on Fincke's seventy yard run on the kick off, Kendall's twenty five yard run around left end and three line plunges by Stillman. The next was made by Kendall on a forty five yard run with Putnam's skilful interference and the last one of the half was on Devens' forty yard plunge through left tackle. The first touchdown of the second half was the result of a fumble on the second team's ten yard line. The second was made by Devens' fifty yard run and two line plunges by Putnam and Devens.

The line-up: First Eleven.  Second Eleven. Hallowell, Ristine, r.e.  l.e., Cooper, Morse. J. Lawrence, r.t.  l.t., Spratt, McGrew. Burnett, r.g.  l.g., Carroll. Sargent, Roberts, c.  c., Sugden, Greene. Barnard, Shea, Wheeler, l.g.  r.g., Grew. Graydon, Eaton, l.t.  r.t., Peyton, Lewis. Campbell, Bowditch, l.e.  r.e., Hoxie, Littig. Fincke, q.b.  q.b., L. Daly. Kendall, Devens, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Derby, W. R. Lawrence. Putnam, 1.h.b.  r.h.b. Jaynes. Stillman, f.b.  f.b., Mifflin.