A HARD GAME EXPECTED.

The Football Team to play Brown at 3. Six Substitutes in the Line-up.

Harvard will play Brown on Soldiers Field at 3 o'clock this afternoon. The game will be a close one, as Harvard is by no means in as good form as in the Pennsylvania game. In the first place Captain Daly's injured knee will keep him out of the play, and Kendall, Ellis, Sawin, Hallowell and Campbell have not yet recovered from the effects of the Pennsylvania game. This leaves the eleven with a substitute back-field and substitute ends, which in itself is enough to weaken the team considerably. Besides this the whole team has deteriorated very much during the week, and is not able to play nearly as well as a week ago.

Brown, on the other hand, has recently undergone a great improvement and is now in its best form. Early in the season injuries and long railroad trips demoralized the men, but the practice recently has pulled the team together and made it much more formidable than when it met Pennsylvania and Princeton. The record of the team is as follows: Brown 27, Colby 0; Brown 18, Holy Cross 0; Brown 22, M. I. T. 0; Brown 0, Pennsylvania 12; Brown 11, Chicago 5; Brown 5, Princeton 17; Brown 26, Tufts 5.

The line-up will probably be as follows: Harvard.  Brown. Ristine, r.e.  l.e., Slocum. J. Lawrence, r.t.  l t., Keene. Barnard, r.g.  l.g., Whittemore. Sargent, c.  c., Wheeler. Lee, l.g.  r.g., Melendy. Eaton, l.t.  r.t., Sheehan. Bowditch, l.e.  r.e., Bartlett. Fincke, q.b.  q.b., Scudder. Devens, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Barry. Gierasch, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Washburn. Stillman, f.b.  f.b., Bates.

Because of the bad weather yesterday the practice was held in the baseball cage and was confined to a running signal drill. All of the first eleven men including Kendall, Ellis, Sawin and Kernan took part at one time or another. The execution of the line plays was quick and good, but on the end runs the men got in the way of each other and broke up the formations. The great fault of the team was playing too high, a failing which has marred the work during the whole week. The practice ended with some individual coaching to the centre men. The team clearly showed the effects of the Pennsylvania game and the coaches were dissatisfied with the work.