Article by Professor Royce.

Professor Royce has written for the International Monthly for November, an article on "The Pacific Coast, a Psychological Study of Influence." The article is a discussion of the effect of the topography and climate of California on the character of the people.

The year in California is divided almost equally between the prolonged drought of the summer and the long rains in the months that correspond to the Eastern winter. The certainty with which the general character of the weather can be predicted for weeks ahead makes the farmers to a great degree, independent of the weather, and makes farming simple and easy. The absence of snow or frost makes travelling possible throughout the year, and the owners of estates, hampered by very little care of their crops, may leave their lands at will. As a result, the men are not obliged to choose their acquaintances from local circles and are not confined to any one set of habits and pursuits; they acquire an independence of plan and circumstance that comes to be one of their leading traits. Professor Royce traces this restless, individualistic spirit in a short sketch of the state history.

At less length Professor Royce discusses the touch of idealism and poetic sensitiveness of the Californian nature that comes from daily contact with the wonderful richness and beauty of the country.