Address by Dr. Hale

Dr. Edward Everett Hale gave a talk last night in Phillips Brooks House on the subject "After Commencement--What next?" He spoke in part as follows:

At the end of his four years course a young graduate usually knows very little more of the outside world, and its significances to him, than when he entered college. He has spent the previous years of his life thinking not of the world, but of himself; and when his college life suddenly disappears the question confronts him "What can I do?" Is his ambition and ability for political strength, for a power in government, or do the activities and prizes of business seem nearer his grasp? The grandeur and dignity of both may well tempt him, for in both we find, on the whole, dignity, high moral sense, and a prevailing desire for what is best. One way, perhaps, to decide this question would be to have a "fellows conference" here in the University, where men could meet together and have opportunity for a more definite arrangement of their ideas, by getting in closer touch with the outside world. A means that would prevent the future from being an accident, and on the contrary, would give it a substantial meaning as well as purpose.

There are three rules that young men might be advised to follow: First, live in the open air all you can; second, touch elbows with the rank and file; third, talk every day with some one who is your superior. The second of these rules, especially, is not observed here at Harvard. It would be better if we were on good terms with all sorts of people, instead of assuming so often our own superiority. The rank and file turn out a pretty good sort of people, and to associate with them good naturedly and intelligently only tends to broaden our horizon, and to give us a higher appreciation of what life really is.

Success is not the only consideration, but how you are to live and what you are to make of life. Try not only for honor "but walk with God and have God walk with you."