Mr. Conried's Company

In view of the near approach of the German play the following facts about Mr. Conried and his company are of interest. In one of the recent numbers of Harper's Magazine, Mr. John Corbin '92 says: "If the question were to be asked, what is the most dramatic instition in the country, an intelligent theatre-goer would most certainly answer, 'Mr. Conried's Irving Place Theatre.' Relying merely on the artistic spirit of the German speaking communities of New York, Mr. Conried has established a house that presents most of the interesting features of the repertory theatres that are at once the pride and strong hold of dramatic art in Germany and Austria." In every German city of any size there is a princely or municipal theatre carried on by the state or city, and both of these two classes of theatres are managed less for private gain than for the sake of art.

It is on such principles as these that Mr. Conried works, believing that there are 'three forces which control the state--the church, the school and the stage.' He is, moreover, opposed to the star system and insists on the equal merit of all the actors, giving subordinate parts to excellent actors and thus producing a thoroughly artistic whole. As a proof of his success, Norman Hapgood '90, one of the most prominent dramatic critics of New York, says, that the best thing without exception which he had seen during last winter was a performance of "Wilhelm Tell" at the Irving Place Theatre.

The following is an extract taken from the book published by the literary committee, and now on sale at all the stores. "It is interesting to note that a Greek translation of "Iphigenie" by Johnannes Papadopaulos was among the books which Goethe, in 1819, presented to Harvard University 'as a mark of deep interest in its high literary character, and in the successful zeal it has displayed through so long a course of years for the promotion of solid and elegant education'."