The April Monthly.

The current number of the Monthly is a pleasing combination of entertaining fiction, stimulating special articles and keen book reviews. It is however to be regretted that the men who contribute the stories have been forced so far a field in search of subject matter. The life around us is surely worthy of transcription.

"The Three Year Plan" by Professor Hall is a remarkably sane and clear presentation of the tendency towards a shortening of the College course. The point that the increased weekly number of lectures necessary to the three-year plan will diminish the hours spent in actual work is well taken. It is a real objection to the shorter course.

The preliminary stage-setting of "Two's Company" by J.G. Forbes is unjustified and over-elaborate; the plot, too, is slight; but the keen criticism of life running through the story keeps up the interest to the end.

W.C. Arensberg's "Translations from the German," are rendered with a delicacy of feeling and a deftness of touch worthy of their originals.

"The Spirits that Prevailed," by B.B. Lee has well-sustained movement and succeeds in catching much of the romance and mysticism of southern life.

In his criticism of Marie Bashkirtseff's Journal, G.H. Montagu has met his baffling problem with great analytical power. He has put before us with much vividness the conflicting characteristics of a many-sided mind. His synthesis is not, however, on a par with his analysis.

"The Interloper" falls below the standard set by the rest of the number. It is uncertain in movement and conventional and colorless in incident and character-drawing.

The Editorial sets forth admirably the attitude towards national affairs which Harvard has always shown, paying especial attention to the summer-school for Cuban teachers.

The Book Notices are unusually adequate for undergraduate work.