Princeton Letter.

The total enrolment of the University this year is about 1,400 as compared with 1,277 last year. The Freshman class numbers 390, which is larger by 19 than the entering class last year. There is a gain of 35 Freshmen in the scientific and a loss of 12 in the academic department.

The opening of the Graduate School, with Professor West as Dean, marks another step in the growth of the University in professional departments. Another important change announced at the opening of college, was the decision to put the scientific school on an equality with the academic department, as regards entrance requirements and undergraduate work. Hitherto this department has received insufficient attention in comparison to its importance, and its enrolment has always been remarkably small.

The football squad has had too little work to permit criticism, but judging by the weight and reliability of the material a good team can probably be formed. Five regular players and twenty members of the squad of last year have returned. Besides these there are several heavy, active freshmen, of whom Short, of St. Paul's, and Barney, of Andover, will probably be valuable. Langdon Lea '96 is head coach, and assisting him are J. B. Riggs '92, A. W. Kelly '98, Arthur Poe '00, H. C. Brokaw '97, H. Armstrong '98, John-Baird '99, and Captain Pell. The most encouraging feature of the situation is the sharp competition for every place on the team.