Tennis During the Summer.

Owing to the fact that M. D. Whitman '99 and not defend his title to the national tennis championship, Harvard was not represented this year beyond the final round, when B. C. Wright '03 met Larned. A number of graduates and undergraduates, however, took part in the Newport tournament.

This began on August 13. The early part of the tournament attracted more than usual attention, since the match in doubles, between the Western champions, Little and Alexander of Princeton, and the Easterners, L. E. Ware '99 and B. C. Wright '03 was very close. Five sets were needed to decide it, Ware and Wright finally winning, 6-1, 2-6, 6-0, 4-6, 6-1.

On the following day, D. F. Davis '00 and H. Ward '00 successfully defended their title to the championship at doubles by defeating the challengers, Ware and Wright, in straight sets, 6-3, 9-7, 6-1. As this was their third victory, they secured permanent possession of the cups which have been up for competition since 1890.

The third day brought an interesting match in singles between Ward and Davs, which was won by the latter after a discouraging start. The score was 1-6, 6-3, 6-2, 6-4.

Davis lost his match with Wright, the latter winning in straight sets, 6-2, 8-6, 6-3. Wright then defeated R. D. Little, 7-5, 2-6, 6-1, 6-2, and met Larned, who had reached the finals after defeating Ware, 6-2, 6-3, 6-2. In the final match, Larned combined accuracy with his usual brilliancy and won, 6-2, 6-8, 6-4, 6-4, though Wright played a strong game throughout. As M. D. Whitman 99, holder of the championship, defaulted, Larned, by taking this match, became national champion.

In the Massachusetts State Championship, B. C. Wright defeated L. E. Ware, 7-5, 6-4, 6-1, and won by default from D. F. Davis, the holder. In the Crescent Athletic Club Tournament, Ware tied with Larned and won the toss.