HARVARD, 14; WEST POINT, 6.

West Point Plays a Strong Game-Scores Made by Hard Football.

In the hardest-fought game of the season. The University eleven defeated the West Point team Saturday at West Point by 14 points to 6. Though the score was at no time in West Point's favor, it stood 6 to 6 at the end of the first half, and the final result was in doubt up to the last few minutes of play. The University eleven worked diligently, but every rush was met by such a solid resistance that advances of more than from one to three yards at a time were almost impossible, and frequently there was no gain at all. West Point on the other hand, with their simple plays, had very little difficulty in penetrating the line and making first down many times in succession. Twice, during the second half, they carried the ball to and inside of Harvard's 25 yard line only to lose it, once on a blocked try for a field-goal and again by being compelled to punt. There were few spectacular plays to vary the monotony of steady line plunging. The only ones were a run of 40 yards by Mills to within five yards of a touchdown, a run of about 30 yards by Shannon, of West Point, on a punt, and the two kicks blocked at critical moments by Meier.

The team showed its same old trouble of going to pieces when nearing the goal. Large holes were frequently opened in the line and instead of meeting the attack as a determined team should do-and as the opposing eleven did-the line-men depended upon the secondary defense to stop the play, and allowed West Point to gain steadily and with comparative ease. In advancing the ball, the runner made but little effort to follow what interference there was, and until the latter part of the game, Harvard's gains around the ends seldom amounted to more than a yard or two each.

There was not much to praise iL the individual playing of the team. Of the line-men. Barnard was the only one who was in the least effective. Both Jones and Bowditch, at ends, played commendably and gave good help to the runner. Meier, by blocking kicks, did very necessary service and showed considerable ability as a defensive player.

The progress of the game was very slow and, on account of the frequent injuries and consultations, extended over a period of two hours. Harvard was the first to score. Mills ran the kick-off in 25 yards and four plays through centre by Stillman and Mills covered the remaining 10 yards to the middle of the field. Then followed a series of end and formation plays, varying in their gains from 1 to 5 yards, which eventually brought the ball to West Point's 7 yard line. Leatherbee made half a yard through left tackle, and two formations with Jones back just managed to reach the 2 yard line and make it first down. Jones was again called upon and in two plays he barely succeeded in crossing the goal-line for a touchdown. Barnard kicked goal. Harvard's lead was of short duration, for immediately after the next kick-off, the ball was given to West Point on Harvard's 20 yard line for holding. A penalty of 5 yards for interference and four rushes through A. Marshall and Mills placed the ball within a yard of the goal-line and Torney carried it over. By kicking the goal he tied the score.

It required but a few minutes after the beginning of the second half for Harvard to get ahead again. Marshall's kick-off was returned to the centre of the field, wand with formation plays directed against the guard positions, Harvard started in for another touchdown. The 45 yard line had been reached when suddenly Mills broke through a hole opened by Wright and made his long run to the 5 yard line where he was tackled by Shannon. West Point fought very stubbornly but in three plays the ball was carried over by Jones. A very difficult goal was kicked by Barnard. Later in the half West Point advanced to Harvard's 20 yard line and attempted a field-goal, but the ball was blocked by Meier and secured for Harvard on the 33 yard line. Harvard then advanced straight down the field and, principally by means of fairly good end runs by Knowles, who replaced Kernan, arrived within a few inches of West Point's goal. The ball was lost on downs, however, but the punt from behind the goal was blocked and though there was a question, owing to interference by the spectators, as to whether a touchdown or a safety should be counted for Harvard, the latter score was finally agreed upon and the game ended a few minutes afterward.

The line-ups follow: HARVARD.  WEST POINT. Jones, Matthews, l.e.  r.e., McAndrew Wright, Shea, l.t.  r.t., Graves A. Marshall, l.g.  r.g., Seagrave, Thompson King, c.  c., Boyers Barnard, r.g.  l.g., Riley Mills, r.t.  l.t., Doe Bowditch, r.e.  l.e., Farnsworth, Dice C. Marshall, q.b.  q.b., Shannon Kernan, Knowles, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Nichols, Gardiner, Laurison Leatherbee, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Hackett Stillman, Meier, f.b.  f.b., Torney, Jenswold

Score-Harvard, 14; West Point, 6. Touchdowns-Jones 2, Torney. Goals from touchdowns-Barnard 2, Torney. Safety-West Point. Umpire-Langford of Trinity. Referee-Vail, of Pennsylvania. Timekeeper-McArthur, of West Point. Linesmen-McGlensey, of Harvard, and Campbell, of West Point. Time-20 minute halves.