A VERY POOR PRACTICE.

First Team Easily Held by Second.--Fumbling Worse Than Ever.

Eleven men who had never seen each other before could hardly have played more poorly than did the University team in the football practice yesterday. For a team that has had more than two weeks instruction under a dozen or more skilled coaches, the showing was decidedly discouraging. In the line-up against the second eleven, the first team was not only unable to score, but was almost totally at the mercy of their opponents. Time after time the backs were unable to gain and the ball was either lost on downs or punted out of danger.

Kernan, Barnard and Sugden were out in football clothes but none of them took part in the play. Davenport is disabled at present, but will report again in a few days. Among the former players who were on the field were C. Blagden '02, B. G. Waters '94, W. H. Lewis '95, P. D. Haughton '99, W. Hoag '94, O. F. Cutts 3L., R. Brown '98, D. G. Mason '95, J. Cranston '91, M. Donald '99, F. S. Newell '92, F. L. Burnett '01 and G. W. Bouve '98.

The line-up between the first and second elevens started well but after that the playing was of the kind that could have been equalled or surpassed by any preparatory school team. Marshall received the kick off and made a clever run of 30 yards to the centre of the field, and on the next play the ball was punted to Noyes on the second team's twenty-five yard line. An advance of five yards by Foster was followed by a kick to the first eleven's fifty yard line, but after gaining 15 yards in about five plays the ball was lost to the second team on downs. Then followed a series of punts and fumbles, and for the rest of the game the ball changed hands back and forth near the centre of the field, but with the advantage almost entirely with the second eleven. The time of playing was extended beyond the usual length in order to give the University team an opportunity to redeem itself, but without any noticeable effect. In a line-up between the first and second team substitutes, which ended the practice, Parker, of the second team, received a punt on his forty yard line and ran 70 yards for the only touchdown of the day. The line-ups of the University and second elevens follow: FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. Burgess, Matthews, l.e.  r.e., Crocker Wright, Bleakie, l.t.  r.t., O'Connell Hovey, Coburn, l.g.  r.g., Frost King, Force, c.  c., Lyon Wilder, r.g.  l.g., Coburn, H. Bowditch Knowlton, r.t.  l.t., Whitwell, Oveson Bowditch, Motley, r.e.  l.e., Littig Marshall, Elkins, Noyes, q.b.  q.b., Noyes, Parker Piper, Lindsay, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Foster Tenney, McGlensey, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Sard, Kerans Graydon, Stillman, f.b.  f.b., Ives