LINE CHARGES TOO HIGH.

University Gains Through Superior Weight.--Scores Three Touchdowns.

Although the clear, cold weather yesterday afternoon was almost ideal for football, the practice of the University eleven was by no means as good as might have been expected under the conditions. As in the Brown game, the superior weight of the University line enabled it to gain distance in yesterday's practice; but this superiority in weight did not conceal the lack of concerted action by the line, the men continually charging too high.

Almost the entire squad was out on the field yesterday. Shea was again back in the scrimmage, at left tackle on the first eleven, and Knowlton also appeared at his old position at right tackle. Parkinson was not in the line-up, although he ran through signals on the University eleven. Owing to a bad knee, received in Saturday's game, Nichols was not out for practice. Bleakie was tried at center on the second in the signal practice, and Hanley was put in at left half on the substitute eleven, neither, however, went into the game.

Besides the regular preliminary practice a new feature was introduced, the ends running down under the punts and tackling the men who caught the ball. This part of the work was far from satisfactory.

A twenty-minute scrimmage between the first and second teams, marked by loose playing throughout, resulted in three touchdowns for the first, all by straight football. Marshall ran the first kick in from the 20 to the 45-yard line, and then the ball was taken straight down the field, Harrison making the first touchdown. The second eleven received the next kick-off and Morris ran the ball in 7 yards to the 22-yard line. On two plays through the line, the second made first down, and then Morris made 10 yards around the end. After the second had gained a total of 16 yards, the University eleven took the ball on downs on the 38-yard line and carried it over for the second touchdown, Mills scoring. The third touchdown was made after an exchange of punts, on short gains from the University eleven's 43-yard line.

The line-up: FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. LeMoyne, l.e.  r.e., Shurtleff Shea, Meier, l.t.  r.t., Carr Robinson, Carrick, l.g.  r.g., Pierce Wilder, Sugden, c.  c., Poll A. Marshall, r.g.  l.g., Carroll Knowlton, r.t.  l.t., Squires Bowditch, Clothier, r.e.  l.e., Blagden C. B. Marshall, q.b.  q.b., Elkins Harrison, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Morris Hurley, Means, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Goodhue Schoellkopf, Mills, f.b.  f.b., Kent