HOCKEY CHAMPIONSHIP WON

Yale Defeated in Final Game by Score of 5 to 1--Season Ends with no Defeats.

The University hockey team defeated Yale at the St. Nicholas Rink on Saturday by a score of 5 goals to 1, in the second game of the final round of the intercollegiate series, thus winning the intercollegiate championship and closing the season with an unbroken series of victories. It is to be regretted that the Yale team was weakened on Saturday by the loss of Captain Hitchcock, who broke his knee cap in the game on Friday night, and that Potter, the acting captain, was forced to retire during the game because of an injury to his foot. The game was nevertheless one of the most spirited of the season, and although one sided, was hard fought from beginning to end.

Aside from the brilliant playing of Captain Lovering, the shooting of Macleod was conspicuously good, while Carr's alertness in blocking his opponents was excellent. The whole team played with the dash and aggressiveness that has characterized their work from the beginning, and showed also good physical condition.

In the first half, Souther scored for Harvard after 10 minutes of play, and Macleod shot a goal a minute later from a scrimmage in front of the Yale goal. Macleod scored again, and Potter followed with Yale's only goal on a pass from Oliver. In the second half, Macleod and Souther each scored once in the first seven minutes of play, thus closing the scoring.

The line-up: HARVARD.  YALE. Macleod, Newhall, l.e.  r.e., Potter, Vanderpoel Lovering, l.c.  r.c., Oliver Souther, r.c.  l.c., Rowland Foster, r.e.  l.e., Marcus, Mopleman Clothier, c.p.  c.p., Ostby Carr, p.  p., Ward Litchfield, g.  g., Stern

Score--Harvard, 5; Yale, 1. Goals--Macleod 3, Souther 2, Potter. Umpires--Barron of St. Nicholas Skating Club, Gould of N. Y. A. C. Referee--Dobby of Crescent A. C. Time--20-minute halves.