New Plan for Memorial Hall.

At the Directors' meeting of the Harvard Dining Association, last Wednesday evening, the following plan was considered:

"The Plan: In order to reduce the waste of meats, and to gain other advantages named below, it is proposed, (1) that the meat, fish, and eggs, be priced on the menu card, (2) that a small book of tickets, (like a mileage book), be issued and charged to each member, and (3) that the price in tickets of the meat ordered shall be given to the waiter with the verbal order. Menu cards would be furnished at breakfast and lunch, as well as at dinner.

"All other articles now served, including dessert, would still be served as at present; and their cost would still be divided amongst the members as at present.

"The extra order list would not be affected, but tickets would be good in place of written white orders for extras.

"Advantages:

"(1) Greater choice. Under the ticket system two kinds of meat could always be offered on the menu, instead of one as at present.

"If a man did not care for meat at breakfast, he could save his tickets, or use them on an extra order; and so at lunch, or dinner.

"(2) Absence. If a man missed any meal, he would save, in tickets, a part of the cost of that meal.

"(3) Waste saved. Plates of meat not ordered could not be brought to the tables to get cold, and be wasted. Fewer orders would go down scarcely tasted. Thus a saving would be effected in the most expensive part of our provisions. For the meat, fish, and eggs, cost three times as much as all other provisions for the Hall put together.

"(4) More equitable. The above plan would distribute the cost of board more equitably than at present. Each man would pay for his share, and for his alone, of the most expensive part by far of the provisions. The cost of service would still be divided equally as at present.

"Cost: It is estimated that the cost of board, exclusive of meat, fish and eggs, but inclusive of service and of all other expenses, would be $2.40 to $2.60 per week.

"If a man made the same choice of meats each week as is now made for him, his total board would cost him the same as now.

"If he chose the more expensive meats, and chose them more often than they are now furnished, his expenses would of course be greater than at present. If. however, he did not care for meat at every meal, he might have the more expensive meats when he did take meat, and yet save."

The Board favored submitting the plan to a vote of the Hall, and placed the matter in the hands of the Executive Committee. This Committee, however, considers that a trial now is inadvisable, for even if the members of the Hall should approve of a trial, the time before the end of the year is probably too short to make the necessary changes in the bookkeeping. and not run some risk of failing to get the board-bills to the Bursar promptly. It is, however, possible that the Directors may decide to submit to a vote of the Association membership this spring the question of giving the new plan a trial next autumn.