TRACK WORK BEGINS.

Announcement of Squads.--Plans and Prospects of the Team.

Regular work for all candidates for the University track team will commence today at the Gymnasium. Men are to report in squads which will meet at 11, 12, 3.30 and 4.30 o'clock each day, with the exception of Saturday, when there will be but one squad which will meet at 12 o'clock. Men may join the squad which will be most convenient for them. Captains of the different squads will be chosen from among the members of last year's team. Candidates for the field events will meet between the hours of 2.30 and 5 o'clock: shot-putters and high jumpers on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays; pole-vaulters, on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

The work, will at first be light and will consist of exercise with the weights and dumb-bells, practicing starts in the Gymnasium, and outdoor work on the new board track on Holmes Field. This winter work is especially important as it is intended not only to develop men for all outdoor work in the spring, but also for the important indoor meets this winter.

At the fifteenth annual handicap meet of the Boston Athletic Association, to be held in Mechanics Hall, Boston, on the evening of Saturday, February 13, a relay team, representing the University will run a race with Pennsylvania. Each man on the team will run three laps, a distance of 390 yards. Class relay teams will be entered to run for the class championship. A number of men will also compete in each of the various other events.

In April the regular class championship games will be held, and a week after them the annual University games. At the annual Pennsylvania relay meet, to be held in Philadelphia on Saturday, April 23, the University will be represented by a team. In the last part of April the annual field-day games, for all who failed to make the University team, will take place. The season will close with the dual and intercollegiate meets.

From the present outlook this year's team will be strong in the shot-put, sprints, and distances; but in the high jump, broad jump and hurdles much new material must be developed.

The following members of last year's team have returned and are eligible:

100-yard dash--W. C. Schick, Jr., '05, L. Grilk '04, M. Y. Perkins '06.

220-yard dash--W. C. Schick, Jr., '05, L. Grilk '04, M. Y. Perkins '06.

440-yard dash--E. J. Dives '06.

880-yard run--S. Curtis '05.

Mile run--W. A. Colwell 3G., J. H. Stone '04, A. Dana '06, D. W. Howes 1G.

Two-mile run--W. A. Colwell 3G., A. King 1L., J. N. Hall 1G.

120-yard hurdles--F. W. Bird '04, A. Peterson '04.

220-yard hurdles--F. R. Bauer '04, F. W. Bird '04.

Shot-put--F. H. Shoenfuss '04, C. H. Robinson '04.

Hammer-throw--R. H. Oveson '05.

High-jump--R. Robeson '05, F. M. Murphy 1L., R. E. Crane '05, A. Derby 1L.

Broad-jump--W. B. Jordan '06, D. R. Ayres '05.

Pole-vault--A. Robeson '04, E. M. Sawyer '04, R. Gring '04.