HARVARD, 4; WEST POINT, 0

University Team Won in Hard-fought Game.--Score on Place Kick.

At West Point on Saturday, under per-feet weather conditions, the University eleven defeated West Point by the score of 4 to 0. The four points were made near the middle of the first half, when, after a fair catch by Noyes, Parker kicked a goal from placement from West Point's 30-yard line. The game was close and exciting throughout and the score fairly indicates the play of the two teams. The contest was, so far as straight rushing and defensive play went, a drawn battle. On its only near approach to a touchdown, toward the end of the second half, the University team lost the ball on downs at West Point's 15-yard line. West Point in turn, after forcing the ball down the field by a succession of fierce line plays from Harvard's 48-yard line to the 20-yard line, was held for downs and thus lost its only chance to score. At times both teams made substantial gains by rushing, and each by stubborn defensive play repeatedly threw the other back for no gain or a loss. Harvard's advantage of superior weight was throughout most of the game offset by West Point's quicker starting, and harder and surer tackling. The superiority of the University team in the game as a whole came through a slight advantage in kicking, somewhat better generalship, and quickness to profit by West Point's fumbles.

Doe kicked off to Squires at Harvard's 35-yard line. Hurley and Mills in two rushes made first down and Nichols went through West Point's left to the 47 yard line. Three rushes brought the ball to the middle of the field, but here West Point held for downs. After a gain of 2 yards through centre, Prince fumbled a high pass for a punt, and Hurley fell on the ball on West Point's 40-yard line. Nichols made 10 yards at left end, and Mills 6 more at centre. By strubord defensive play West Point then secured the ball on downs on her own 25-yard line and Prince kicked to mid field. An exchange of punts netted Harvard 5 yards. Nichols tried right end without gain, and a line rush gave but 1 yard. Nichols punted out of bounds at West Point's 35-yard line. Noyes heeled the return kick for a fair catch at West Point's 35-yard line, but was interfered with and received 5 yards. From placement on the 30-yard line well to the right of the posts, Parker then kicked a goal. During the remainder of the half neither goal was seriously menaced, although the ball was most of the time in Harvard's territory. Both sides were penalized once, both fumbled once, and both were several times forced to kick.

In the second half West Point received the kick-off but was forced to punt. Harvard lost the ball on downs and then regained it on a fumble. The aggressive defense of West Point, however, forced the University team to punt and Garey ran the ball back to Harvard's 48-yard line. Thence West Point by steady gains reached the 20-yard line where the University team regained the ball on downs. After two plays Kernan punted and Paul secured the ball in midfield

on Garey's muff. Kernan again punted and after Prince's poor return kick. Harvard in three rushes reached West Point's 15-yard line, but was held for downs. West Point rushed the ball 25 yards and was then forced to kick. After an exchange of punts the game ended with the ball in the University team's possession on its own 42-yard line.

The line-up:

HARVARD.  WEST POINT.Filley, l.e.  r.e., GillespieMeier, l.t.  r.t., GravesParker, McFadon, l.g.  r.g., SeagraveBarney, White, c.  c., TiptonSquires, r.g.  l.g., Weeks, IrwinOveson, Paul, r.t.  l.t., DoeLeary, Shurtleff, r.e.  l.e., HammondNoyes, Kernan, q.b.  q.b., GareyNichols, Osborne, Sperry, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Hill, HanlonHurley, r.h.b.  l.h.b., PrinceMills, f.b.  f.b., Torne