Mr. Bryce's Second Lecture.

The Right Hon. James Bryce, M.P., gave the second of the Godkin lectures last evening in Sanders Theatre, on "The Study of Popular Governments."

Until recent times, Mr. Bryce said, the a priori method of studying political science has been used by the world's most eminent thinkers. This method starts with preconceived ideas as a basis for investigating political phenomena. Machiavelli was the first to approach the subject in the modern way--first, to observe facts exactly; second, to experiment in conjunction with observation, and classify, critically and by analysis; and third, to draw an inference, a generalization. This is the method we should apply.

The distinction between what is transient and what is permanent in political history should always be kept in mind. There is a permanent element, which renders scientific study of the subject possible, and this is human nature, of the individual and of the masses.

Masses of men show human nature as well as individuals. They like to be led. Leadership means thought, courage and energy. It saves trouble to be led. Varying with the community, the majority of mankind, lack initiative, and are fascinated by a strong will. One of the dangers of democracy is the influence of the unscrupulous man with a strong will. Masses of men have a collective vanity, skilful appeals to which never fall. People are disposed to believe that the majority must be right, and that there is danger in change and innovation. They love equality in one sense and inequality in another. An individual likes to think that he is equal to the next man, but is strongly appealed to by the unusual, by what is pre-eminent or higher than its surroundings. This accounts for many paradoxes in modern life.

Mr. Bryce will give the third lecture of the series tomorrow evening.