LAST PRACTICE YESTERDAY

Two Touchdowns Scored Against Freshmen.--Defense Slightly Improved

In secret football practice yesterday afternoon the defense of the University team again showed a slight improvement. Meier and Derby were on the field in football clothes but did not go into the scrimmage. Their condition is improved and it is probable that they will both be able to play on Saturday. Brill, also, was again on the field and took part in signal practice at left tackle on the University team. After the usual preliminary work and signal practice the University team lined up for a short scrimmage with the second eleven. The second eleven was given the ball on the University team's 10-yard line and in five downs carried it over the goal line for a touchdown. They then kicked off to the first team's 20-yard line from where the University team rushed the ball 20 yards before time was called. The line-up of the University team was: Randall, l.e.; Oveson, l.t.; Parker, l.g.; Parkinson, c.; White, r.g.; Squires, r.t.; Montgomery, r.e.; Starr, q.b.; Sperry, l.h.b.; Hurley, r.h.b.; Mills, f.b.

After this short secret practice the public was admitted to the last open practice of the year. The University team lined up against the Freshman eleven for a 10-minute scrimmage, in which the University team scored two touchdowns. The University team kicked off to the 20-yard line. The Freshmen were unable to gain and Talbot punted to the middle of the field to Sperry, who ran the ball in 8 yards. By continuous line plunges at tackle, chiefly by Mills, the ball was quickly carried down the field and Mills was pushed over from the 1-2 yard line for a touchdown. Sperry kicked the goal. The University team again kicked off to the 20-yard line. The Freshmen gained their distance once but were then forced to punt. Talbot kicked to Sperry, who returned the ball 15 yards to the middle of the field. From here, after continuous gains of 10 and 15 yards, by Mills and Foster, the ball was carried over the goal line for the second touchdown. Sperry again kicked the goal.

A short line-up between the second team and the University substitutes ended the practice. After this scrimmage the second eleven disbanded for the year.

About 1500 undergraduates, headed by the University band, marched to the Stadium to witness the open practice. The songs to be sung at the game on Saturday were rehearsed and the team, substitutes second team and coaches were cheered.

The line-up: UNIVERSITY TEAM.  FRESHMAN TEAM. Randall, l.e.  r.e., Ball Paul, l.t.  r.t., Fish Parker, Schoenfuss, l.g.  r.g., Talbot Parkinson, c.  c., Grant McFadon, r.g.  l.g., Barney Squires, Jones, r.t.  l.t., Pell Montgomery, Matthews, r.e.  l.e., MacDonald Starr, Noyes, q.b.  q.b., Newhall Sperry, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Gilder Foster, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Lincoln Mills, f.b.  f.b., Somes