Communication

Training in Orchestral Music.

We invite all men in the University to submit communications on subjects of timely interest. The CRIMSON is not, however, responsible for the sentiments expressed in such communications as may be printed.

The general appeal that has been made to the musical students of Harvard who play on some one of the orchestral instruments, to do their part toward keeping up and building up the College orchestra, will doubtless meet with the wished for response from these who are capable of taking part in concerted music. It must be borne in mind, though, that a certain amount of training is necessary to enable the performer to keep in with the rest and play with the necessary shading as directed by the leader. Many a man would like to take part in the College music but cannot because he has not had this training. The musical life in College may be made such an agreeable part of the students' routine that all helps towards making this life possible should at least be known. No place in the whole country offers such opportunities as Boston for obtaining training in ensemble playing. At the New England Conservatory they offer in struction in ensemble playing at very cheap rates, and the work is under the immediate direction of the composer, Chadwick, who is without question, our foremost native American conductor. In fact so far does he carry his instruction in his students' orchestra that young men players have passed from that to the famous Boston Symphony Orchestra. Chadwick's orchestra meets once a week and the musical student who enjoys this sort of music or wishes for any reason or other to acquire a considerable degree of skill in ensemble playing cannot do a more profitable thing than join it, or if he is not sufficiently advanced to play with this students' orchestra he can at first join a preparatory ensemble class and prepare for the more exacting playing of the full orchestra.

While this drill work training is a necessity for most players yet a great deal can also be learned by attending the Symphony Orchestra concerts, which may be enjoyed for the small sum of a quarter of a dollar if one has the whole of Friday afternoon at his disposal so that he can wait in line