BETTER WORK IN PRACTICE

First Team Scored Four Times.--Encouraging Aggressiveness Shown.

The work of the University football squad yesterday afternoon was the hardest thus far this week. The first eleven played a strong game and showed encouraging aggressiveness. Schoenfuss, who was tried at left guard on the first eleven, proved a strong man in the line. Wendell and Sperry, in the back field, were powerful on the offensive, making numerous exceptionally long gains. The all-round good work of Meier at right tackle was very noticeable. Nichols and Oveson did not take part in the scrimmage but went through signals with the first eleven. Montgomery was prevented from going into the scrimmage by a slight injury to his knee received in the preliminary practice. Kernan was on the field but did only light work. Noyes, at quarterback on the substitute eleven, was in the line-up for the first time in ten days. W. C. Matthews '05 joined the squad yesterday as a candidate for an end position.

In a twelve-minute scrimmage with the second team, the first eleven scored four touchdowns. Wendell went over for the first one from the 15-yard line, after the ball had been rushed more than 80 yards. Aided by good interference he also made the second touchdown, after having secured the ball on the kick-off on his own 3-yard line. Sperry made the last two scores, one on an 18-yard run and the other on a 70-yard run. After this the first team lined up against the substitutes for a 22-minute scrimmage. The ball changed hands frequently and the first team was twice held for downs.

The line-up: FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. Randall, l.e.  r.e., Blagden Brill, l.t.  r.t., Keyes, Gilmore Schoenfuss, McFadon, l.g.  r.g., Pell Barney, c.  c., Sloan Squires, r.g.  l.g., Brown Meier, r.t.  l.t., Carr Whitman, r.e.  l.e., Hall Starr, q.b.  q.b., Brennick Sperry, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Mason Wendell, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Myers Mills, Osborne, f.b.  f.b., Jenkins

The line-up of the substitutes was: Jones, Pruyn, r.e.; Davie, Derby, r.t.; White, r.g.; Fraser, c.; McFadon, l.g.; Parkinson, l.t.; Leatherbee, Matthews, l.e.; Noyes, q.b.; Nesmith, l.h.b.; Foster, r.h.b.; Prendergast, f.b.