ROWING PLANS FOR THE YEAR

Trial Eights Squad to be Made Introductory to the University Crew.

The general plans for the development of the University crew which will row against Yale next June have just been completed by Captain Filley. According to this arrangement, the trial-eights squad, selected last week from the crews which took part in the interclub races, will continue to row during the remainder of this fall as long as the river keeps open. This squad is composed, as far as can be seen at present, of the best oarsmen in the University, excluding former University crew members, but promising men will be added from time to time as seems advisable. In the spring, two or possibly three crews will be formed from it. These crews will race about May 1, and from the result of this race provisional first and second crews will be chosen. It is thus intended to make the trial-eights squad introductory to the University crew.

Class crews will be called out early in the winter. Practice will continue until about the middle of May when class races will be held, in which two or possibly three crews will enter from each of the four classes. Any men of promise developed in these races will be taken on the University squad for trial.

For the Freshmen, regular work will continue during the rest of the fall season. Candidates for the regular class crew will be called out during the winter and will compete in the class races in the spring. Just as the University trial-eights squad is intended to furnish elementary practice for the University crew, is is planned to have the Freshman fall rowing introductory to the Freshman crew which will row in the class races and against the Yale freshmen.

The idea of this system is to form two divisions of crew candidates: the first containing those men who have shown ability sufficient to warrant their being taken upon the University squad; the second, men trying for the class crews, who need more development before they can be taken to the University squad. In order to insure the success of the system, the progress of the class crews will be closely followed so that good material for the University squad may not be overlooked.

The selection of a coach for the University crew will be announced shortly.