Bishop Vincent's Talk Last Night.

In his talk last night to the Christian Association on "The College Student as a Bible Student," Bishop John H. Vincent h.'96 considered the attainments which the young man at college should have in mind, and the great part which Bible study plays in their fulfillment. The power of concentrated attention, a broad survey of the fields of study, together with a better knowledge of one's own powers and adaptations--these attainments, said Bishop Vincent, and most of all, intellectual discipline with the aim of symmetrical development, should be the ideals of youth. For mere mental vigor, without a well-balanced conscience, intellect, and will, is of little value.

Towards the fulfillment of these and many other aims the Bible is enormously helpful. The vastness of the field covered by so well-rounded a book tends to empower our souls without contradicting any convictions we may have.

And yet, aside from its spiritual and religious power, we should appreciate the literary value of a book written at a time when the English language was strongest and purest. By constant intimacy with the Bible, by mastering it and being mastered by it, we shall find that our power of expression is immensely increased in the possession of such a glorious store of literature.