Prizes for Economics Essays.

A committee of which Professor J. L. Laughlin of Chicago University is chairman, announces that the generosity of a Chicago company will enable the committee to award prizes for the best studies in any of the following economic subjects:

(1) The causes and extent of the recent industrial progress in Germany; (2) To what is the recent growth of American competition in the markets of Europe to be attributed; (3) The influence of industrial combinations upon the condition of the American laborer; (4) The economic advantages and disadvantages of present colonial possessions to the mother country; (5) The causes of the panic of 1893; (6) What forms of education should be advised for the elevation of wage-earners from a lower to a higher industrial status in the United States; (7) What method of education is best suited for men entering upon trade and commerce?

A first prize of one thousand dollars and a second prize of five hundred dollars will be given for the best treatment of any one of the subjects by persons who have received the bachelor's degree from and American college since 1893; and a first prize of three hundred dollars, and a second prize of one hundred and fifty dollars for the best treatment of any one of the subjects by undergraduates of any American college. An undergraduate may, however, compete also for the prizes primarily meant for graduates.

The studies should be sent to Professor Laughlin, University of Chicago, on or before June 1, 1905. Detailed information of minor requirements may also be had of Professor Laughlin.