Encouraging Baseball Practice.

The baseball squad closed its sixth week of work with long, hard practice on Saturday afternoon. After battery work and batting in the Cage, the outfielders were coached by W. Clarkson '04 out of doors, and the infielders practiced fielding and double plays in the Cage. Much attention was given by Coach Frantz and Dr. E.H. Nichols '86 to coaching the catchers in geting off their throws quickly. The entire squad practiced sliding bases. The infield work during the week has been encouraging. The men have improved in throwing and the individual and team play has been satisfactory. The outfielders have had only three days of outdoor practice. The batting has shown but slight improvement.

As the new diamond will not be ready for use before the team returns from the Southern trip, a temporary one will be laid out north of the trestle used in constructing the Stadium, and on this the games scheduled before the spring recess will be played.

A training table at the Union starts today with the following thirteen men: Clarkson, Carr, Coburn, Fischel, Gardiner, E. Grant, Jackson, Kernan, Matthews, Nichols, Quigley, Randall, Stephenson.

The work of the Freshmen is not far advanced. They have not yet been given swift balls in either batting or fielding. The outfielders practiced out of doors on Saturday for the first time. The work has shown fair improvement and will be made increasingly harder this week. The University and Freshman squads will practice out of doors beginning tomorrow if the weather permits. There will be no practice this afternoon.