First Butcher Lecture Tonight.

Professor Samuel Henry Butcher, LL.D., lately Professor of Greek in the University of Edinburgh, will give the first of his series of six lectures on "The Originality of Greece" in the Fogg Lecture Room this evening at 8 o'clock. His subject tonight will be "Greece and Israel." These lectures were provided for by the gift of Gardiner M. Lane '81.

Dr. Butcher, after graduating as Senior Classic and Chancellor's Medallist from Cambridge in 1873, was appointed lecturer at Oxford. From 1882 until the past winter he was professor of Greek at Edinburgh. He has also served as a member of the Scottish Universities Commission and of the more recent Royal Commission on University Education in Ireland. Dr. Butcher is well known as a writer for his prose translation with Mr. Andrew Lang of Homer's "Odyssey," for his volume of essays entitled "Some Aspects of Greek Genius" and for his ambitious work, "Aristotle's Theory of Poetry and Fine Art."

The next lecture of the series will be given Thursday, March 31, on "Greece and Phoenicia." The lectures will be open to the public.