The Will o' the Wisp.

The central feature of the plot of this year's Pi Eta play, the "Will-o'-the-Wisp," is the exploitation among the gullible citzens of Freedom Junction, Maine, of the "Will-o'-the-Wisp" mine. The first act opens with a celebration of May-day at a country fair. The centre of attraction is the "Exhibition of the World's Wonders," the marvels of which, I. Will Ketcham, itinerant showman and promoter, is impressing on all the country folk. Ketcham's chief concern, however, is to dispose of the stock of the mine. He succeeds in interesting Caleb Sweet, leading citizen of the village, and the three selectmen. But by flirtation with Priscilla Sweet, reported by Nehemiah Obadiah Brown, he incurs the jealousy of his wife, Belle Equestria. At this point Nehemiah Brown's guardian, Ikey Ikklehopper, sues for the hand of Lucretia Smart, a gay grass widow, and his advances are received to the point of accepting his ring, but no further, for Lucretia's heart is set on Goodbert Swift, a New York lawyer at the village tavern. In the interval, Belle Equestria has plotted her revenge, and carried it out by stealing the stock of the mine. This she turns over to Sweet and the selectmen, and announces to the assembled company that the stock is worthless.

The second act begins a month later. Swift has found that the mine will pay well if developed, and the $10,000 necessary for this he gets indirectly from Ikklehopper by working on the affections of the widow, until she consents to use her influence on the Jew. Swift makes up Sweet's losses with the proceeds of the sale of the mine, and is engaged to Priscilla. The widow, disgusted at this fickleness, spurns the Jew and goes over to Caleb Sweet, while Ketcham has to be reconciled with Belle Equestria.

The cast is as follows: I. Will Ketcham, showman,  P. Whorf '05 Caleb Sweet, wealthy farmer,  W. Fisher '05 Priscilla Sweet,  H. LeS. Andrews '06 Lucretia Smart, a gay grass widow,  D. P. Cook '05 Goodbert Swift, a city lawyer,  H. R. Pratt '06 Nehemiah Obadiah Brown, a foolish schoolboy,  W. S. Hall '05 Ikey Ikklehopper, the Jew, F. E. Shirk '06 Belle Equestria, the showman's wife,  W. M. Jopling '06 Dr. Eza Pill, physician,  J. Dignowity '06 John Berry undertaker,  F. E. Whitney '06 Rev. Dr. Soule, parson,  R. Olmsted '05 The Village Bass,  N. B. Wales '05 Country boys and girls.

Performances will be given as follows: Graduates night, April 15: Lowell Opera House. April 18: Winchester Town Hall, April 19: Tremont Theatre, Boston, matinee, April 21: Pi Eta Theatre, April 26 and 27.