LACROSSE TRIP SUCCESSFUL

Team Defeated Twice and Tied Once but Showed Steady Improvement.

The University lacrosse team left Cambridge for its Southern trip on Friday night, April 15, and on Saturday afternoon played its first game of the season with Johns Hopkins on Maryland Oval, Baltimore. Johns Hopkins won by a score of 12 to 2, in a hard and clean contest.

The University team played an aggressive and creditable game, but its defence was not concerted enough to break up the brilliant attack of the Johns Hopkins team. The team was further handicapped by the short time the men have been in training; while the Hopkins team, which has been practicing since last November, showed the effect of long training in superior speed and endurance.

Swarthmore, 8; Harvard, 2.

At Swarthmore on Monday the team again met opponents who had the advantages of long practice together, an extended period of training, and several preliminary games, and were defeated by a score of 8 goals to 2.

Here the defence was fairly successful against an entirely different style of attack from that used by, Harvard and Johns Hopkins,--an attack relying on long runs down the sides of the field, instead of quick, short passes through the centre. On the offense, however, the men failed to take advantage of many chances to score. On the whole, the team showed distinct improvement over its work in the Johns Hopkins game.

Harvard, 4; Lehigh, 4.

The final game of the trip, played with Lehigh at South Bethlehem on Wednesday, resulted in a score of 4 to 4.

In this game the team combined the aggressive offence of its first game with the improved defence of the second, and played an extremely fast and close game against a team which had during the previous week defeated Cornell by a score of 23 to 1. In the first half, by team work which was always good and at times brilliant, the Harvard team maintained a decided advantage and scored 3 goals to their opponents' 1; in the second half, Lehigh by a stubborn defence and greatly improved offence held the University team down to 1 goal, and themselves scored three times, tying the final score.

Regular practice will be resumed today in preparation for the first inter-university league game of the season, which will be played with the University of Pennsylvania on Soldiers Field next Saturday. The final game of the class series will be played between 1905 and 1907 on Tuesday, May 3.

The University squad training table will be started at the Quincy Lunch this morning with the following twelve men: Adams, Bennett, Blaxter, Hanavan, Kibbey, Lehmann, Outerbridge, Phillips, Rice, Smith, Bollard, Groves.