M. Leroy-Beaulieu's Third Lecture.

M.Anatole Leroy-Beaulieu gave his third lecture yesterday afternoon in Sanders Theatre on "Lamennais et les Catholiques liberaux."

At the time of the Restoration in France, M. Leroy-Beaulieu said, the church was in conflict with the aspirations of the new century. Lamennais and his disciples sought to end this strife and reconcile the church with that form of society which issued from the French Revolution. To this end they founded in 1830 a newspaper called "The Future." with the motto "God and liberty, the Pope and the people," and asked the Vatican to favor democracy.

Pope Gregory XVI condemned the theories of "The Future," and Lamennais left the church for Socialism, but his disciples, Lacordaire and Montalembert continued his theories with moderation.

The Catholics were divided into toritaires." Plus IX, influenced by Louis Veuillot's journal. "The Universe," sided with the more conservative party, but with Leo XIII there commenced a new era, favorable to the descendants of the "Catholiques liberaux," and to reconciliation between democracy and the church.