BOYLSTON SPEAKING CONTEST

First Prizes Awarded to F. J. O'Connor '04 and S. A. Welldon '04.

At the final trial for the Boylston Prizes in Elocution held in Sanders Theatre last evening, the two first prizes were awarded to F. J. O'Connor '04 and S. A. Welldon '04, and the second prizes to H. P. Johnson '05, A. A. Ballantine '04, and H. W. Bennett '05.

The speaking was of a high order and showed careful training. The selections were varied, interesting, and effective, and held the close attention of the audience.

O'Connor rendered Ingersoll's "Speech at Cincinnati" with a restrained and sonorous delivery that gave the selection added impressiveness. The extract From "Henry Esmond," by S. A. Welldon was spoken with unusual dramatic fervor and clearness of enunciation.

Of those who won second prizes, Johnson gave Lincoln's "Reply to Douglas" with force and animation. Ballantine's rendition of O'Connell's speech "On the Irish Disturbance Bill" was sincere and impassioned. Bennett brought out effectively the pathos of the "Death Scene from Enoch Arden," and spoke with much natural feeling.

The judges were: Hon. Curtis Guild '81, chairman, Hon. A. J. Daly, President W. E. Huntington, Hon. F. C. Lowell '76, Professor B. S. Hurlbut '87, Mr. J. F. Rhodes, Mr. A. I. Fiske '69, Mr. W. R. Thayer '81, Professor E. C. Moore, Mr. J. G. Hart '93.