HARVARD, 8; GEORGETOWN, 3

Fast Game Won by Strong Batting Rally. Nine Leaves for Princeton Today.

The University baseball team defeated Georgetown on Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon by a score of 8 to 3. The contest throughout was fast and very interesting, and the work of the University team at the end of the seventh inning, when the score stood 3 to 1 in favor of an opponent of more than average strength, was most encouraging.

Both teams fielded well, the two errors credited to the University team in the first and sixth innings being made on difficult foul flies. Coburn pitched a rather erratic game and used poor judgment while men were on bases. Clarkson, who played center field the greater part of the game, pitched during the last two innings. Quigley was rather unsteady behind the bat, was unable to throw accurately to second, and let Randall try for a foul that should have been his. At the bat, however, he made a three-base hit in the eighth inning which brought in Fischel and Greenough at a critical point when two men were out. Carr's hitting was strong and his fielding of Seitz's grounder in the second was one of the features of the game.

The scoring began in the fifth inning, when Matthews reached first on a ground ball over second. Fischel's bunt, combined with an error on the part of McGettigan, let Matthews score, and enabled Fischel to reach second.

In the seventh Seitz reached first because of interference on the base line by Coburn, after the runner had been retired at first by Kernan. This was followed by a wild throw by Carr to Randall, which allowed Titus to reach first. Dorman reached first base by being hit by a pitched ball, and Hart's single followed by Morgan's double brought in three runs. With two men out Fischel singled, Greenough was hit by a pitched ball, and Quigley and Stephenson took their bases on balls, forcing in a run. Carr's two-base hit brought in Greenough and Quigley, after which Kernan struck out.

In the eighth inning, three Georgetown men were retired on strikes. Randall was hit by a pitched ball and went to first, after which five straight hits were scored, the last being a three-base hit by Quigley, thus adding four more runs to Harvard's score. There was no scoring in the ninth.

The summary: HARVARD.     a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Carr, 3b.  5  0  3  2  2  1 Kernan, 2b.  4  0  0  2  1  0 Randall, 1b.  3  1  0  12  0  0 Clarkson, c.f., p.  4  0  0  1  0  0 Matthews, s.s.  4  1  1  0  3  0 Fischel, l.f.  4  2  2  0  0  0 Greenough, r.f.  3  2  1  1  0  0 Quigley, c.  3  2  1  9  1  0 Coburn, p.  2  0  0  0  2  1 *Stephenson.  0  0  0  0  0  0 McCarty, c.f.  1  0  1  0  0  0 Totals,  33  8  9  27  9  2 *Batted for Coburn in seventh inning.

GEORGETOWN.    a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Dowling, 1b.  5  0  1  14  0  0Dorman, s.s.  4  1  1  1  1  0Hart, c.  5  0  1  4  0  0Morgan, 3b.  4  0  1  1  3  0McGettigan, 2b.  4  0  0  0  5  1Keane, l.f.  2  0  0  1  0  0Burns, c.f.  2  0  0  1  0  0Seitz, r.f.  4  1  1  2  0  0Titus, p.  3  1  0  0  3  0    --  --  --  --  --  --Totals,  33  3  5  24  12