Plea for Moderation in Cheering.

Communications.

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Yesterday's CRIMSON quotes an extract from a recent number of the Yale News, which sets fourth in definite terms the attitude of Yale University towards the nuisance of continued cheering. The CRIMSON takes the same view of the subject. It is hard to realize how two publications like the CRIMSON and the Yale News, voicing as they to the sentiments of their respective undergraduate bodies, have forgotten to make any mention of the fact that cheering is not so much due to an effort on the part of the spectators alone to "rattle" the opposing side, as it is to the effort of a few men who hold temporary positions as cheer leaders. Anyone who has witnessed the important intercollegiate games of the past few years will realize this fact. Organized cheering is perfectly legitimate if it is not allowed to overstep its bounds; it is a pleasant thing to hear a college show its faith in its team. When, however, men are appointed to see that each section of the grandstands makes all the noise possible, then cheering has reached the "attempt to rattle" stage.

If the method of leading cheering at tomorrow's game be made more moderate, less perfunctory and less systematic, a cause for criticism should no longer exist. UNDERGRADUATE.