Tennis During the Summer.

The University has been remarkably well represented by both graduates and undergraduates in nearly all the tennis tournaments held this summer in all parts of the country.

In the annual tournament of the Longwood Cricket Club, B. C. Wright '03 reached the final round by defeating R. C. Seaver, 6-2, 6-0, 4-6, 6-3, and H. Ward '98 by defeated W. J. Clothier '04, 14-12, 1-6, 8-6, 8-6. Ward defeated Wright in the finals, but was in turn defeated in the challenge round by W. A. Larned, holder of the challenge cup for 1903. In the doubles tournament for the championship of the east, Ward and Wright were the winners, defeating R. D. Wrenn '95 and G. L. Wrenn '96, in the fourth round, 8-6, 4-6, 2-6, 6-4, 6-0, and Hackett and Alexander in the final round, 6-4, 6-3, 6-1. Clothier and E. W. Leonard '03 were defeated in the third round by Allen and Leroy, 8-6, 2-6, 6-1, 6-4.

In the play for the Massachusetts state doubles championship, which was won by R. C. Seaver and A. S. Pier, G. A. Lyon '01 and B. B. V. Lyon won their first match from J. F. MacDonald and W. MacDonald, 6-0, 6-1, and H. H. Whitman '06 and C. S. Penhallow '02 defeated W. S. O'Brian and L. Underwood by a score of 6-3, 6-2.

In the annual tournament of the United States National Lawn Tennis Association at Newport, Clothier, Ward and Leonard reached the semi-final round, Wright having been put in the fifth round by Larned, 6-1, 6-0, 6-3. Clothier defeated Larned in the hardest fought match of the tournament, 6-4, 3-6, 2-6, 6-2, 6-3, but was defeated in the finals by Ward in straight sets, 10-8, 6-4, 9-7, the latter having qualified by his defeat of Leonard, 6-0, 6-1, 6-1.

In the championship doubles Ward and Wright defeated Collins and Little, champions of the west, in a hard-fought match, 1-6, 6-2, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1.

Some of the most brilliant tennis of the summer was played at the various invitation tournaments. A round robin at the Weschester Country Club, was won by Ward and Wright, their final victory being over the Wrenn brothers, 8-7, 11-9, 12-10.

The Wrenn brothers won the Seabright Cricket Club invitation doubles by defeating Larned and Wright, and Clothier and Leonard. Larned won the singles, by defeating Clothier in four sets, and Wright in straight sets, in the finals.

Clothier was at his best in the Nahant tournament, winning from Larned in the final round, 7-5, 6-4, 2-6, 6-3. Together with E. B. Dewhurst of Pennsylvania, last year's intercollegiate champion, he also won the doubles, defeating Larned and R. D. Wrenn in a hotly contested match, 4-6, 6-8, 6-2, 6-4, 7-5. At Southampton Larned turned the tables on Clothier, winning the singles, 7-5, 6-4, and with Wrenn defeated Clothier and Dewhurst in the doubles, 6-3, 6-1, 6-4.

In the Olympic matches two weeks ago Wright easily won the world's championship singles in straight sets from R. Leroy of Columbia, and paired with Leonard, defeated Leroy and A. S. Bell, for the world's doubles championship. D. F. Davis '00, won the Louisiana Purchase Exposition singles, and Leonard the World's Fair singles.

Wright's winning the Canadian challenge cup earlier in the summer is also worthy of note. In the match he defeated L. H. Wardner, 6-1, 6-2, 6-3.

At the recent tournament of the Seabright Cricket Club, B. S. Prentice '05, won the singles by defeating Walton, 7-5, 6-8, 4-6, 6-4, 6-3.