Dr. Faunce at Chapel.

Rev. W. H. P. Faunce, D.D., president of Brown University, preached last night in Appleton Chapel. He chose for his text: "Surely He scorneth the scorner, but He giveth grace unto the lowly."

Israel, said Dr. Faunce, was long an object of ridicule to the surrounding peoples as a nation whose one possession was a faith in God and a true religion. A nation or a man that has not learned to be laughed at with composure can never accomplish anything. The scoffer shuts himself up in the dungeon of his own mind. Knowledge and love and truth can come only to him that keeps his heart and mind open to receive them. It is pitiful to see a man who deliberately scorns the beauties of art or nature. Infinitely more pitiful is it to see one who scorns religion, who refuses to believe anything religious that cannot be proved to his intellect as a problem in mathematics is proved. History and religion can show this man nothing more wonderful than what he can find in his own intellect. We cannot trust our intellect or our sentiment alone to give us the whole broad meaning of religion, but we must open our whole being, and try to receive as much of religion as we can. He who does not feel the spiritual life is dead to the richest experience given to humanity.

The "lowly" mentioned in the text are the teachable and inquiring spirits. We cannot teach unless we are learning at the same time. We should sit down before reality as a little child, with open mind and heart, and do what we believe that reality tells us. In this way only can we meet and overcome the great problems of life.