HARVARD, 6; DARTMOUTH, 6

Dartmouth Played the Better Game and Gained the Most Ground

The University football team played a tie game with Dartmouth last Saturday, the score being 6 to 6, in the three games played with Dartmouth in the Stadium this is the first time Harvard has succeeded in scoring. Each team scored in the first half, and in the second half Dartmouth had an excellent chance to win the game by a goal from placement. Conditions were perfect for a goal but the pass was poor and the ball went wide.

Although the game resulted in a tie, Dartmouth played the better game and gained much more ground than Harvard, especially in the first half. The University team was considerably weakened by the absence of three or four men who will play against Yale, and this partly explains the superiority of the Dartmouth team. Harvard was fortunate in coming out of the game without serious injuries. There were weak places near the centre of the Dartmouth line, but the tackleback play was practically the only one which could get through them. The secondary defense of Harvard was very poor, although in the second half Harrison added considerable strength to it. The Harvard line was slow in starting, an old fault, and the machine-like Dartmouth backs, running generally from a regular formation, were able to bend it back continually. Their gains were not long as a rule, but time and again they made first down in two rushes. Dartmouth gained mostly through the line, with one or two exceptions, Harvard was able to break up end plays. Then longest runs were those of Herr, who made Dartmouth's touchdown from the 15-yard line; of Knwlton, who regaining the ball on a fumble, made 18 yards; and of R. Glaze, who circled Knowlton for 37 yards only, however, to lose this advantage by fumbling, when tackled by Kersburg. Dartmouth forming an excellent interference for the runner, was able to run back kicks better than Harvard.

Misplays lost the Dartmouth eleven the advantage it had gained by out-rushing Harvard. Twice the ball was lost on fumbles, while Harvard's only offense in this respect resulted in a gain of 18 yards. Penalties, although comparatively few, were costly to Dartmouth, who twice was set back 15 yards for holding. Harvard was penalized once for the same offense, and in all three cases a punt was necessary. Besides this each team held twice, forcing a punt, and Harvard was once stopped on downs. Near the end of the game the Dartmouth attack was weakened slightly, and with Foster in for Leonard Harvard's defense took a decided brace and would undoubtedly have held on the 15-yard line, if Glaze had not tried a goal from placement.

The plays did not run off as fast as with Starr in the game, but Newhall, on the whole, used good generalship and his work in catching punts was excellent, in view of the speed and reckless tackling of the Dartmouth ends. Although White was the weakest of the linemen, many gains were made between Kersburg and Squires. Brill and Squires were the most reliable ground-gainers for Harvard, and used with success a new tackleback formation. Harrison was by far the best defensive back, and time and again was effective by stopping plays which had broken through weak places in the line. Peirce, who replaced White at left guard in the second half, strengthened that side of the line. The ends were again slow on punts, but Leary played a very steady game, and Knowlton, although showing lack of experience, was strong on the offense. The offensive work of the Dartmouth backs, notably Rich and Herr, was evidence of the advantage which team play gives against a heavier eleven, or one with stronger individual men. R. Glaze was Dartmouth's most brilliant player and besides being a remarkably fast end, he was used effectively in carrying the ball. DeAngelis, left end, also was fast in getting down the field. Gage's work on the kickoffs was phenomenal.

The summary:HARVARD.  DARTMOUTH.Leary, l.e.  r.e., R. GlazeBrill, l.t.  r.t., LangWhite, Peirce, l.g.  r.g., GageParker, White, c.  c., GriffinKersburg, r.g.  l.g., ThayerSquires, r.t.  l.t., BankhartKnowlton, r.e.  l.e., DeAngelis, SwaseyNewhall, q.b.  q.b., J. GlazeLeonard, Foster, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Herr, RixHurley, r.h.b.  l.h.b., BlatherwickLockwood, Hanley Harrison, f.b.  f.b., Rich, Greenwood