CAMBRIDGE SUBWAY ASSURED

By Vote at City Elections.--Two Track Roads from Harvard Square.

An important result of the Cambridge municipal election last Tuesday was the vote in favor of the construction of one or more subways from Cambridge to Boston. The way is now clear for the passage of a bill by the state legislature authorizing the Boston Elevated Railroad Company to construct two two-track subways from Harvard Square, one under Cambridge street to the Charles River Dam, the other under Massachusetts avenue and Main street to the new Cambridge bridge. The route will be continued in Boston by a subway running from the Cambridge bridge either to Park street or to Scollay square, as may be decided.

Each road will have only two tracks, making it impossible to run both local and express trains, as is done in the New York subway. No definite conclusion has been reached as to the number of stations. It is probable, however, that three of four exclusive of the terminals will be built. As much of the preliminary work as remains to be done can be finished before spring, when the actual construction will begin. The subway will cost about $5,000,000. The city has the right to buy the plant at the end of 20 years.