Princeton Baseball Prospects.

The prospects for a successful nine at Princeton this year are darkened by the loss through graduation of the heavy bating outfield of last years team. Of the 1904 championship team Captain Wells, Byram and Reid are still in the university. All three are excellent fielders, but with the exception of Wells, are only medicore batsmen. With this nucleus, however, supplemented by candidates from last years second team, and from the freshman class, the chances of turning out a championship team are good, provided a strong hitting nine is developed. Captain Wells and A. R. T. Hillebrand '00, who will again coach the university team, will make a great effort to develop the men in this direction.

The pitching squad ought to prove very effective, consisting as it will be Byram, who displayed great ability in the championship series last spring; Cook '08, who held the 1903 championship team down to the score of 4 to 3; Doyle '08, and Heyniger '08, of Lawrenceville, who may be used in the outfield. Cooney '07, catcher on the 1904 team, is steady at all times, and shows accuracy and speed in throwing to bases; while Ritter '08, is also a likely candidate for the catcher's position, although his throws lack accuracy. Davis' position at first base will be a hard one to fill. Bard '06, will probably get the preference, provided his batting improves; while Hammil '08, of Exeter, and Bissel '08, of St. Paul's School, Garden City, are both men of ability. Captain Wells '05, will again play second base; and for shortstop, Watt '07, and Zahniser '07, both of the freshman team, will have the preference. Reld '06, and Fish '08, will be the prominent candidates for third base. The selection of a strong hitting outfield will be the main aim of the coaches. Henry '05, who has played on the second team for the past two years, should prove a good candidate. Gayan '05, of the second team, Newcomb '07, Heim '08, captain of last years Exeter team, and Wister '08, are also likely men.

With this uncertain material, the coaches will start indoor work shortly after Washington's Birthday.