Use of Union by Non-Members.

Communications.

[We invite all men in the University to submit communications on subjects of timely interest. The CRIMSON is not, however, responsible for the sentiments expressed in such communications as may be printed.]

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

The House Committee has had brought to its attention several cases of men who have been using the Union although not members. That an abuse of this sort is fairly widespread there can be no doubt, for the means taken to exclude non members are entirely inadequate. The question as to whether or not more stringent means should be adopted has been much discussed, but the inconvenience to regular members of a careful police system has outweighed, in the minds of the committee, the importance of trying to find out who all these offenders are.

The House Committee has at present the names of a number of men not members who have intentionally made use of the Union, and these names it feels entirely at liberty to publish. However, in view of the fact that there may be some misunderstanding concerning the exact conditions under which a man can use the Union, it desires to withhold these names and make a few definite explanations.

It should be clearly understood that no member, graduate or undergraduate, is entitled to introduce any man eligible for membership unless he has first gotten permission from some officer of the Union. This rule is clearly stated on the annual membership tickets.

There are special meetings held in the Union from time to time when the club house is thrown open to all members of the University, but at all other large meetings the members are obliged to show their cards before being admitted.

After this explanation, the House Committee is prepared to publish the names of any men found violating these rules, and will consider this action entirely justifiable. There is nothing more contemptible than the spirit which incites a man to take advantage of an organization that relies so much on the honor of the undergraduates.

It would be extremely disagreeable to police the Union and the House Committee does not intend to do this unless forced into it, but it wishes to take this opportunity to express its contempt for the few men already discovered and to issue a warning for the future. R. A. DERBY,   Chairman House Committee.