Joint Lacrosse League Formed.

At a joint meeting of the Inter-University Lacrosse League made up of Harvard, Pennsylvania, Columbia and Cornell, and the Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association, made up of Johns Hopkins, Swarthmore, Lehigh and Stevens Institute, in New York last Saturday, the two associations were combined in a new organization to be known as the United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse League, in which the two old leagues will form the northern and southern divisions. The schedules will be kept separate for the present, but the winners in the two divisions may if desired play off for the national championship.

The chief obects of the consolidation were to unify rules and to introduce the game in new places. Revised eligibility and playing rules were adopted. By the new rules, bodychecking is forbidden, except when the opponent is within 6 feet of the ball; and interference with the goal keeper when in position is prohibited. Rules requiring one year of residence in case of players from other colleges, and limiting players to four years of university lacrosse were adopted.

Officers will be elected later by a committee made up of representatives from each college.

The lacrosse championship cup won by Harvard in 1904 is on exhibition at Thurston's.