Review of the Week in Baseball.

During the past week the University baseball squads have practiced daily in the Cage under the supervision of Captain Randall and Coach Murphy, assisted by Chesbro, of the New York American League team. Dr. Nichols, head coach of the team, R. P. Kernan 1L., and E. Loughlin 1L., members of former University baseball teams, have assisted in the coaching. The work of the squad as a whole has been fairly good and the men have shown good spirit in practice.

The work of the infielders has consisted of practice in fielding easy ground balls, executing double plays and practice in running and sliding between bases, in which the catchers were practiced in throwing to second base. In fielding the work has fallen off. The men have hurried too much in handling the ball and considerable fumbling has resulted. In throwing, which has been unsatisfactory, the men have shown a tendency to throw while off their balance. The double play practice showed an improvement in catching the runner, although the basemen still seemed nervous and hurried in their throws. There has also been an improvement in sliding to bases, the men running hard and diving in good form. In throwing to second base, the catchers have shown sufficient speed, but they are very inaccurate in direction. Yesterday afternoon the outfielders held their first outdoor practice, on the diamond behind the Stadium. The work, which was directed by Loughlin, consisted entirely in judging fly balls. No throwing in was allowed. The greatest improvement of the squad has been made in batting. Better form and judgment have been manifested, although there is still a tendency among the men to misjudge the ball.

Chesbro has supervised the work of the pitchers and has coached them particularly in control, in which none of the squad is effective. He will coach the battery squad during the coming week. Next week cuts will be made in both the battery and the field squads.