The report of the Germanic Museum for 1904-05, issued by Professor Kuno Francke, describes the two most important acquisitions of the year, gives the balance now at the disposal of the Germanic Museum Association, and emphasizes the importance of bringing Germany and the United States into close relations of mutual confidence and helpfulness by rounding out the Museum into a comprehensive conspectus of the history of Germanic culture.
The most important object added last year is the reproduction in concrete of a sandstone slab, dating from about 1280 from the tomb of Ulrich, Baron of Regensburg. The slab, which is the gift of Dr. Angst of Zurich, was found when the old fortifications of Zurich were destroyed in 1903 imbedded face down in one of the towers. It had served as the lower shelf of an embrasure, having been carried off for building material upon the demolition of its original home, the Church of the Barefooted Augustinians. Engraved upon the slab, in the manner of the niello technique, is the standing figure, somewhat larger than life size, of a medieval nobleman. The figure is remarkable for its freedom, gracefulness, and sweep of outline.
Another important addition is the figure of a Roman soldier, with reproductions of arms, from the Romisch-Germanisches Museum at Mainz. This statue, the gift of Mr. H. W. Putnam of Boston, is a companion figure to the Frankish warrior now in the Museum, and is intended to show the equipment of the Roman troops fighting on German territory in the first century.
Negotiations with the Swiss Government have resulted in the definite promise of a full-size reproduction of one of the most remarkable works of medieval Swiss sculpture: the great fourteenth century sepulchral monument of La Sarraz. Negotiations with other governments are now pending.
Among the money contributions received by the Germanic Museum Association are the following: $10 from Mr. C. W. Ernst of Boston; $675, proceeds of a performance given by Mr. H. Conried for the benefit of the Museum; $100, proceeds of a Schiller centennial celebration given by the Orpheus Musical Society of Boston. These gifts bring the present balance up to $1480.
The Museum was open throughout the year on two week days and, owing to the generosity of an anonymous donor, on Thursday and Sunday afternoons as well.