Musical Union Plans New Building

The graduate members of the Pierian Sodality last spring appointed an executive committee to arrange for the celebration of the centennial of the Sodality in 1908. On Commencement Day there was a meeting in Harvard Hall, called by this committee, of all alumni interested in the advancement of music at Harvard, to consider in connection with the celebration of the centennial a broader movement. This movement is to include the federation of all members, graduate and undergraduate, of all the musical societies into a union to support the Department of Music, and to aid in its advancement; the erection of a building for the use of the Department of Music, and all the musical societies; the co-operation of all persons interested in music in the general celebration of the one hundredth anniversary of the Pierian Sodality.

The result of this meeting was the formation of the Musical Union of Harvard University. Officers were elected as follows: president, A. Foote '74; first vice-president, H. L. Higginson h.'82; treasurer, H. A. Lamb 71; secretary, J. W. Saxe '88.

The executive committee is composed of Dr. C. H. Williams '71, chairman; J. W. Saxe '88, secretary; F. F. Collier '99, E. B. Terhune '99, A. P. Rice '05, Professor W. R. Spaulding '87, F. S. Converse '93, W. A. Locke '69 and H. A. Lamb '71.

G. L. Osgood '66 was elected chairman of the musical committee to take charge of the musical festival and celebration in June, 1908.

The main feature of the meeting was the appointment of a building committee to have charge of the proposed building for the Department of Music. This building will contain Leadquarters for all the musical societies of the University. In view of the fact that the late Professor J. K. Paine established the Musical Department at Harvard, and during his long professorship rendered great service to the cause of music in America, it is proposed that the new building, or one of the halls therein, shall take the form of a memorial.

A subscription committee is to be appointed, composed of graduates and undergraduates interested in the cause of music in the University, including all former presidents of the Pierian Sodality, Glee Clubs, and other musical societies, which will compose the union. The duty of this committee will be to raise funds for the new structure.

Another important committee appointed was that on publication, with H. T. Finck '76 of New York, chairman, to take charge of the history of the musical societies at Harvard, especially that of the Pierian Sodality.