SHORT SECRET SCRIMMAGE

Many Substitutes on First Team.--Touchdown Resulted From Onside Kick.

Secret football practice yesterday afternoon was rather light, as but six of the men who played in Saturday's game Fraser, Parker, Kennard, Lincoln, Lockwood, and Peirce--were on the field. In a 15-minute period of scrimmage the first eleven scored one touchdown on the second team after gaining 23 yards on an onside kick which carried the ball to the 10-yard line. The work of the players on the first team was good at times, and they followed the ball extremely well. Warren broke through the line once or twice in time to prevent forward passes. Hall tried two drop kicks in the scrimmage, both of which failed, the first being blocked and the second going a few feet to the right of the goal posts.

In the preliminary work Hoar, Inches, and Robinson were given practice in quick charging under the direction of Coach Cutts; and Brock and Gilmore went through the same work under Coach Marshall. At first the two elevens lined up for practice in breaking through; later Coach Reid punted to the backs in order to give the ends experience in running down the field under the ball. Just before the scrimmage the first eleven had a 15-minute period of signal practice, working out the plays step by step. Graydon, Orr and Miller played at end on the first team in the scrimmage.

Blanchard kicked off to Brock, who ran back 17 yards to the 37-yard line. Gilder gained 10 yards on a forward pass, and Lincoln downed the ball on the 15-yard line after recovering it on an onside kick. In the next play Lincoln carried the ball over the line, but the team was set back to the 30-yard line for holding. Gilder rushed 15 yards through the line, after which Hall tried a drop kick, the ball being blocked and recovered by the first eleven on the 27-yard line. Here the second team got the ball on a poor forward pass and carried it to the 42-yard line by a series of rushes, recovered fumbles, and forward passes. Graydon secured the ball for the first team on a fumble and carried it to the 25-yard line, after which Hall again made an unsuccessful drop kick.

After the punt-out the first eleven at once lost the ball on an onside kick, but regained it by a similar play on the 36-yard line. Mason gained three yards, and Lincoln downed the ball on the 10-yard line after getting it on a forward pass. In three rushes Mason made the only touchdown. Hall punted out to Graydon on the 10-yard line, and Parker kicked the goal. The line-up for the scrimmage follows: FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. Miller, Graydon, l.e.  r.e., Appleton Hoar, l.t.  r.t., Philippbar Brock, l.g.  r.g., Plumb Fraser, Parker, c.  c., Irving Warren, r.g.  l.g., Burns Peirce, r.t.  l.t., Blanchard Orr, r.e.  l.e., Hopewell Hall, q.b.  q.b., Cate Gilder, l.h.  r.h., White Lincoln, r.h.  l.h., Grosvenor Mason, f.b.  f.b., Somes