Provision Made for Extension of Yard

Negotiations are still being carried on by a syndicate, known as the Harvard Riverside Associates, for the control of all the property in Cambridge between Massachusetts avenue and the Charles river on the north and south, and between DeWolf and Boylston streets on the east and west. Three years ago Mr. E.W. Forbes '95 originated the plan of buying up all this land; thus getting it into hands friendly to the University, so that no buildings detrimental to Harvard interests could erected within this territory. If, at any time, it seems wise to extend the Yard, all the buildings in this section, with the exception of clubs and dormitories, can be torn down and new college dormitories erected. The long slope from Massachusetts avenue down to the river, cleared of all buildings not associated with Harvard, and laid out in the form of a parkway with the new Weld Boat Club on the river bank, would make a most attractive Yard, and in conjunction with the old Yard would form one of the largest college properties in the country.

The land has been acquired at considerable expense and as the income from it is insufficient to pay the cost of maintenance, a number of prominent graduates have subscribed to make up the annual deficit. The land is held by the following trustees, who act as directors of the syndicate and manage the property: R. Bacon '80, J. A. Burden '93, E. W. Forbes '95, A. Hemenway '75, T. N. Perkins '91.