Annual Report of President Briggs

The annual report of President Briggs of Radcliffe College has just been issued. In it the number of students in Radcliffe is given as 463, a slight increase over last year. With a membership, however, of 500 or 600 the college would be in no way embarrassed, and could offer more elective courses. This offering of elective courses. This offering of elective courses with Harvard teaching remains the peculiar distinction of Radcliffe, and endowment, says the report, for this purpose is always the supremely useful gift to the college. The endowment should eventually be so large that Radcliffe may pay properly for a Harvard professor's time.

Through the efforts of the Radcliffe Auxilliary, the Greenleaf estate was secured for the enlargement of the college grounds.

Several new scholarships have been established, and the fund of $75,000, needed to obtain from Mr. Carnegie a library which he has promised, and to maintain it without strain on the college, has been raised through the efforts of the alumnae. A considerable sum, however, is still needed for furnishing.

New dormitories continue to be needed, to add to the social life of the students. This social life has been greatly benefited by the Elizabeth Cary Agassiz House, which stands in somewhat the same relation to Radcliffe as the Union to Harvard.

The graduate work of the college has been strikingly good. Graduate opportunities in some departments are unique, and are appreciated by students of distinguished quality. Radcliffe has, therefore, a strong claim on graduate students. The report closes with a reference to the closer connection of the alumnae with the interests of the college, which is shown by their work in behalf of the library. They are now fully represented in the Associates, and are becoming so in the Council.