DEAN SHALER DIED YESTERDAY

Of Pneumonia.--Funeral in Appleton Chapel Tomorrow at 3.--His Life.

Dean Shaler died at his home, 25 Quincy street, yesterday afternoon at 1.15 o'clock from an attack of pneumonia. The funeral services will be held in Appleton Chapel at 3 o'clock tomorrow afternoon. Bishop Lawrence will officiate at the ceremonies, and the following will act as pall-bearers: President Eliot, Professor C. E. Norton '46, Professor G. H. Palmer '64, Professor C. H. Toy h.'04, Professor J. L. Love A.M.'90, Professor J. Royce, Professor D. G. Lyon h.'01, Dr. H. P. Walcott '58.

College exercises will be suspended tomorrow from 2.30 to 4.30 o'clock.

On Monday morning Dean Shaler's condition was most encouraging and the physicians had hopes of a complete recovery, but at noon both lungs again became highly congested and he sank slowly until the end came yesterday afternoon. He had not been conscious for any length of time during the last few hours of his illness, but shortly before his death he was able to recognize those about him. The use of oxygen prolonged his life only a few hours.

Near him at the time of his death were his wife and two daughters, Mrs. W. L. Webb of New York and Mrs. L. W. Page of Washington with their husbands; Mrs. Shaler's nephews, Mr. C. P. Perin of New York and Dr. Shaler Berry, and the two attending physicians, Dr. E. A. Darling and F. R. Jouett, both of Cambridge.

On March 25 Dean Shaler was operated on for appendicitis at his home by Dr. Arthur Cabot of Boston. The operation proved successful and a rapid convalescence had begun, when a week later he was suddenly attacked with pneumonia. Early last week he had a relapse, but afterward rallied and appeared to be holding his own. Toward the end of the week, however, he again suffered a relapse but passed safely through it, and until last Monday noon a gradual improvement was noticeable. Throughout his entire illness with the exception of the last two days, Dean Shaler has been perfectly conscious and rational.

Dean Shaler has been an instructor and officer in the University since 1864. He was born in Newport, Ky., on February 20, 1841. His father, Nathaniel Burger Shaler '27, was a prominent Kentucky physician. Dean Shaler graduated from the Lawrence Scientific School in 1862, a member of the twelfth class to graduate from that department. During part of his course he received private instruction in geology from Professor Louis Agassiz h.'48, the celebrated student of geology and zoology.

On leaving the University he entered the Union Army as an artillery officer, and in July, 1862, he was made captain of the 5th Kentucky battery, known as Shaler's battery. He participated in Morgan's raid into Ohio, and was chief of artillery for fortifications under Burnside.

In 1864, Dean Shaler returned to the University and became assistant in paleontology in the Museum of Comparative Zoology. He was made professor of paleontology in 1868, and received the degree of S.D. in 1875. In 1887 his title was changed to professor of geology, which office he retained until his death. He has been Dean of the Scientific School since 1891.

He was in Europe in 1866 and 1872 studying physical phenomena, paying especial attention to glaciers and volcanoes. He climbed Vesuvius while it was in action, and it was said that he was the first man to look into the crater of an active volcano.

From 1873 to 1880, Professor Shaler was director of the Kentucky Geological Survey, devoting a part of each year to that work, and since then he has been in charge of the Atlantic division of the United States Geological Survey. At four different times he was Commissioner of Agriculture in Massachusetts, and in 1895 was president of the Geological Society of America.

Professor Shaler was a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and of other scientific societies. He was a most versatile writer, having published, besides a large number of scientific reports, some poetry and dramatic works, and many popular articles in the "Scientific American," "Scribner's Magazine," and similar periodicals. His most widely known works are: "The Story of our Continent": "The Interpretation of Nature"; "The Individual: Study of Life and Death"; "The Citizen: the Study of the Individual and the Government"; "The United States of America: a Study of the American Commonwealth"; "Man and the Earth"; "Elizabeth of England"; "Kentucky: a Pioneer Commonwealth": and "The Neighbor.