SPRINGFIELD DEFEATED 16 TO 1

By University Hockey Team in One-Sided Game.--Many Substitutes Used.

In a one-sided game the University hockey team defeated Springfield Training School in the Stadium yesterday afternoon by the score of 16 to 1. Springfield was outclassed in every department of the game. The University forwards at times played with good team work, followed back well, and shot accurately. The men also showed better physical condition than their opponents and were much faster on their skates. Willetts played a good game at point, was clever with his stick and effective in stopping rushes by the Springfield forwards. There was a tendency on the part of the Harvard team to make forward passes and not to keep on side. The play was sometimes hard and fast, but there was no unnecessary roughness.

At the beginning of the first half the team scored several times in rapid succession. Then the play became slow and listless, Springfield keeping the puck in the Harvard territory, and in a scrimmage in front of the goal posts McGuire scored. The University team then resumed its former strong attack, scored a goal, and played on the offensive until time was called. In the second period the play was entirely in Springfield's territory and the forwards had little difficulty in scoring. The Springfield team lacked any form of team play and were very poor in their stickwork. The substitutes on the University played effectively and scored several times at the end of the game.

The summary: HARVARD.  SPRINGFIELD. Pell, Fraser-Campbell,  l.e. r.e., McNicol Townsend, Paine, l.c.  r.c., McGuire Rumsey, Leonard, r.c.  l.c., Wood Newhall, r.e.  l.e., Young Foster, Briggs, c.p.  c.p., Holmes Willetts, Samson, p.  p., Werner Carpenter, g.  g., Ratthei

Score--Harvard, 16; Springfield, 1. Goals--Pell 4, Townsend 3, Rumsey 3, Leonard 2, Newhall 2, Willetts, Paine, McGuire. Referee--R. Winsor '02. Time-keeper--Coach Donovan. Time--20-minute halves.