ALUMNI ASSOCIATION PLANS

Permanent Headquarters Will be Established in Boston.--Proposed Activities.

The alumni of the University will soon have permanent headquarters in Boston. The scheme was authorized in a general way when the alumni association adopted a new constitution last Commencement. The details, however, were left to the association's Board of Directors, and this board at a meeting last October voted to have a committee of five take charge of the project. This committee will report to the Board of Directors next Wednesday evening. In this report, which is practically sure of adoption, the committee recommends that the headquarters be established at 50 State street, Boston, in the building used by the Board of Overseers. The committee will suggest in all probability that E. H. Wells '97, the present assistant dean of Harvard College, be made the officer in charge and be known as the general secretary of the alumni association. It is understood that Mr. Wells will give up his present position in the University and will devote all his time to the direction of this new work.

The headquarters will be a general information bureau pertaining to the University. The scope of the work is intended to be wide enough to supply information not only to graduates but also to all persons interested in any way in the University and its work. Heretofore the College offices at University Hall, the Union, and the offices at 50 State street have been the chief sources of information. All publications, documents, data, statistics and announcements of the activities of the University will be kept on file at the office.

The new general secretary will have charge of the publication of the Quinquennial Catalogue, which has heretofore been published by the University. The Bulletin will be taken over as the official organ of the association. While the general secretary will be editor-in-chief of this paper, Mr. J. D. Merrill '89, the present editor, will be made managing editor. With the backing of the alumni association the circulation of the Bulletin will be largely increased; it will also be the means of furnishing over 12,000 alumni with information of immediate interest. Mr. Wells will continue in his capacity as secretary for appointments, and this work will be conducted as part of his duties as secretary of the alumni. As soon as the new quarters are in working order, the task of making a complete list of all living Harvard men will be started. I. T. Burr '79, has undertaken the work of securing the necessary financial support.

The committee of the Board of Directors which prepared this report includes the following: Bishop Lawrence '71, chairman; I. T. Burr '79, T. W. Slocum '90, H. M. Williams '85, and M. Williams '68. The Board of Directors is made up of the following: president, C. J. Bonaparte '71; vice-presidents, A. G. Fox '69, and Bishop Lawrence '71; secretary, S. Chase '86; treasurer, A. Thorndyke '81; I. T. Burr '79, N. Clifford '90, F. A. Delano '85, J. R. Fearing, Jr., '93, A. J. Garceau '91, G. D. Markham '81, T. W. Slocum '90, H. M. Williams '85, M. Williams '68.