Professor E. C. Moore to Visit China

Professor E. C. Moore will sail from New York this morning on his way to China, where he will spend his half-year's leave of absence in his work as a representative of the American Board of Commissioners of Foreign Missions. He left Cambridge for New York yesterday morning; in his start today he will sail for Havre on the steamship La Lorraine.

Professor Moore goes as a member of a committee of three chosen by the American Board to investigate the foreign missionary work which is being done in China. The other two members of the committee are Dr. Barton, the chief secretary of the American Board, and Dr. Warner of New York. During his stay Professor Moore will attend a conference of leaders of all denominations who are doing missionary work in the Chinese Empire, to be held in Shanghal on April 27. He was invited to attend also a conference of the World's Student Christian Federation at Tokyo during the first week of April, which will be the first meeting of any great Christian organization in Asia, and will be attended by several hundred representatives, including a large majority of Hindus, Chinese and Japanese besides leaders in mission work from all parts of the world--but on account of his work on the committee and his attendance at the Shanghai conference, he has been unable to accept. The general work of the committee will be to make a journey through all parts of China in order to visit the schools, missions, and medical institutions under the charge of the American Board, and to study their methods and the progress they have made during the last few years. As there is an enormous amount of territory to be traveled over, each member of the committee will take a certain portion as his share. Professor Moore will probably make the long and hard horseback journey to the northern parts of the country.

Committees of this kind are sent out nearly every year by the American Board to different countries to investigate the work which is being done in them under its general supervision. The work in China is largely educational, and corresponds to our ordinary grammar and high school courses. The hospitals and medical schools under the charge of the Board, however, are doing a very important work in giving the people medical care and in teaching them the proper regard for hygiene, which as a nation they lack.

Professor Moore will not return until the beginning of the next academic year.