DORMITORY RACES YESTERDAY

One Bump in Each Division.--Straightaway Race Tomorrow in Basin.

The first of the annual inter-dormitory bumping races was rowed upstream yesterday afternoon, over the one and three-eighths mile course, finishing at the end of the long stretch beyond the second bend. On account of the roughness of the water and the strength of the head-wind against which the crews had to contend, the rowing was not as good as might have been hoped. Owing to the fact that the men in the foremost boats were unable to hear the pistol fired from the launch, the starts in both divisions were unfair. In the case of the second division, the pistol was fired before two of the crews had reached their buoys. Only one bump was made in each division yesterday and none of the first boats changed places.

The first division was started at 3.35, just 20 minutes late. This was due to the difficulty with which several of the crews took their positions. At the start, Claverly did not hear the pistol, and Randolph gained an advantage of about half a length. By the time the first corner was reached they had gained another quarter of a length, and were only three-quarters of a length behind. They continued to gain until, at the beginning of the last stretch, only some 10 feet of open water separated the boats. At this point the Claverly crew began to get together, and gained steadily on their pursuers, finishing nearly a length to the good.

Westmorly was rather a disappointment; the men rowed a long and slow, but rather dead, stroke, and were never in the race at all. Starting about a length and a half behind Randolph, they finished at least double that distance behind. Dunster-Russell got off well at the start, but were never able to gain on Westmorly, and it was soon apparent that they would be overtaken by Mt. Auburn Street. The bump took place at the beginning of the last long stretch. Hollis-Holworthy-Stoughton was another disappointment, and was being left far behind by Mt. Auburn Street, when this crew bumped Dunster-Russell. Beck-Hampden finished about twice its original distance behind Hollis-Holworthy-Stoughton, and was rowing in poor form.

In the second division, a bad start was also made, again owing to the inability of the men to hear the pistol. Thayer and Matthews both got away poorly, and Weld came up on Matthews in consequence. When the crews settled down, however, Matthews rapidly overhauled the first boat, getting within a length at the first corner, and about three-quarters of a length shortly after. But in rounding the first and second bends the Matthews coxswain lost his crew at least two lengths, by bad steering. They continued to gain, however, once they were straightened out, and were soon within a length and a quarter of a bump, but could get no nearer. Weld finished about the same distance behind Matthews. Perkins was never in the race, from start to finish, and came in about ten lengths of open water in the rear, while College House was about twice its distances behind Perkins. The only bump in this division was made by Hollis-Holworthy-Stoughton, who rowing a faster stroke, overtook Grays before the first bend was reached.

The second day's racing will be held this afternoon, the two divisions rowing again at 3.15 and 4 o'clock. The boats which were bumped yesterday will take up their positions in today's race in the rear of the boats which bumped them.

The races today will be started promptly on scheduled time and any crew not at its buoy at the appointed times will be considered out of the race.

The crews will stat in the following order:

First Division--1, Claverly, 2, Randolph; 3, Westmorly; 4, Mt. Auburn Street; 5, Dunster-Russell; 6, Hollis-Holworthy-Stoughton I; 7, Beck-Hampden.

Second Division--1, Thayer; 2, Matthews; 3, Weld; 4, Perkins; 5, College House; 6, Hollis-Holworthy-Stoughton H; 7, Grays.

This afternoon's racing should prove interesting, as upon it will depend largely the selection of the four crews to row in the straightaway race in the basin tomorrow. This race will take place at 4 o'clock, and will be rowed upstream over the one and seven-eighths mile course, starting at the Union boat-house and finishing at the Longwood bridge. The crews are being carefully watched by Coach Wray and Captain Richardson, in whose hands the selection will rest. At present, Randolph, Claverly, Westmorly, and either Matthews or Mt. Auburn street seem the most likely selections