SIMULTANEOUS DEBATES.

In requesting Yale to change the date of their annual debate with Harvard to coincide with the Princeton debate, the Debating Council has done its part toward giving the system of simultaneous debates a fair trial at Harvard. Our authorities have never consistently urged the adoption of this plan, leaving Princeton to stand alone as an advocate of the change. As a result we have had no actual demonstration of the value of the system, and can only judge it by its success in other triangular leagues. From Harvard's point of view this year is an excellent time to test the plan, for the regular schedule makes both debates come in the spring. Adherence to the old schedule would necessitate beginning a second competition shortly after the first debate is over. Yale would share in the advantage of an earlier date, for May is not a month to bring out many candidates for a team, and in winter most men have more time for preparation.

Last year under the same circumstances Princeton arranged simultaneous debates with Harvard and Yale, with teams debating on both sides of the same question; and the victory of both Princeton teams proves the possibility of choosing two winning teams at the same trial. This system makes the competition more attractive, and by pitting the two teams and coaches against each other in trial debates, the quality of both is improved before the intercollegiate contests are held.

In order to attain the highest efficiency, we believe that all three colleges should agree to select two teams for debates on the same night at the most convenient time of the year. Since this arrangement cannot be made for this year, we hope that Yale will consent to the proposed modification, and give Harvard a basis for taking a definite stand on the question.