AN UNSPORTSMANLIKE APOLOGY.

An anonymous article appeared in the last Harvard Bulletin under the head of "Observations," which was given publicity by the Boston papers yesterday. We do not care to know the name of the writer, but we are confident that he speaks as an individual and not as a representative of graduate opinion. Criticism of the coaching system at the proper time should be open to any man; but for the official organ of the Alumni Association to print an article ten days before the Yale game, which attempts to apologize publicly for a sure defeat, on the grounds of an inferior coaching system, is assuming an unsportsmanlike attitude unworthy of any Harvard graduate, however little he may represent graduate opinion. A more inopportune attack could not have been made by the outside press. Undergraduates are ready to support their team in the face of an unfavorable outlook, and it hardly behooves a graduate paper to attempt to dampen their ardor by throwing cold water at the last moment. Ordinarily we should not call attention to such an article, but since this has come before the outside public, it devolves upon undergraduates to show by their attitude that this premature apology was neither authoritative nor representative.